Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mr. Paul Levins (currently of Portland) says:

Wow Scott, I'm flabbergasted that someone as passionate about music as you managed to whittle you list down to 11; that couldn't have been easy. I tried to distill my album collection (1,000s) into 10 desert island records, and I damn near had a panic attack. A list of my top 20 just gave me a headache. So, in lieu of attempting once more this task that has proved impossible, I would like instead to offer you a different list: my favorite album from each year in the (IMO) greatest decade for rock and roll, the 1970s.

1970: The Doors - Morrison Hotel
1971: Led Zeppelin IV
1972: David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
1973: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
1974: Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
1975: Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (Possibly my favorite song from the whole decade was released this year as well, Foghat's extended jam "Slow Ride" off the phenomenal Fool for the City.)
1976: Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
1977: Iggy Pop - Lust for Life
1978: The Rolling Stones - Some Girls
1979: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes

And to round it out to an odd 11, my favorite album of all time is Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I've never listened to Hi-Fi Drowning, but I just ordered a used copy from Amazon ($2.99 after shipping, btw) on the strength of the one song I could track down, "The Saint's Id." I can't wait to hear the rest of it!

Scotts response:

Yep, I have to say those are all pretty bad ass albums, Steve Miller is definately a favorite of mine. In that particular album I really like the syth stuff. I really need to check out that Tom Waits album. Funny becuase most of the albums you listed Mary and I have on vinyl. Hell Yea

No comments:

Post a Comment